Buckle up and have a cup of tea at hand, because it’s gonna be a long one! : )
After I wrote last weeks taste test by the wild doe, we decided enough was enough. We want to eat our own vegetables as well! We figured putting netting over at least a portion of the vegetable garden (with the vegetables we like best) should solve the problem. So we put a net over about half of the vegetable garden, covering the arugula, onions, cabbages, beans and some of the strawberries. It looks horrible and is very annoying when I need to reach something underneath, but the doe hasn’t touched the vegetable garden since : )
I’m not sure if you’d notice this, but the potatoes have been growing like crazy lately! They’ve even started developing flowers now…
And we are not the only ones who have noticed how nice and green and beautiful our potato plants look… The Colorado beetles have, as well. Since I found the first one this week, I’ve been checking the plants a couple times every day to see if there’s more there. So far it’s not so bad, but I’m getting rid of every one I see.
Something else that’s been doing great, is our tomatoes! Believe it or not – I certainly still don’t – but most of them have recovered from the frost 3 weeks ago! Only 4 of the 10 or so plants we had died. I replaced them with new plants that I sowed right after the frost, and I can’t wait to see the difference in yield between the old and new plants!
The various peppers have also been planted in the main patch, as well as the Brussels sprouts. This week, I’ve also moved the kale and cucumberplants out and planted marigold in various places in the patch.
By the way, the squash have also moved out! In the end, I decided there was a little bit space left for them in there, but we will have to force them to grow upward. I hope that works, or else they’ll have to grow outward into the grass. I don’t think they’ll mind : )
I also replaced the zucchini plants that had frozen to death. I left one, because it still had green leaves and looks like it might recover. Fingers crossed for that! I tossed out 4 of the 5 plants that were there, and planted 3 new ones I had sown inside.
Herb patch, aka Barren Wasteland
Now this one was a surprise to me. I went to weed it, with a half mind of just buying pre-grown plants and plant them there. Maybe a nice flowerpatch or something, to attract more bees : )
But, as I was weeding, I discovered the dill is actually growing! The basil is also not dead (yet) and seems to have grown a couple more leaves. The thyme has a grow spurt, and the rosemary is slowly but surely growing!
One thing I noticed, is that the dill in this patch smells a lot better/stronger and is a lot greener than the dill I have grown inside. When they’ve grown a bit more, I’ll try and taste test if the taste is different as well.
What can I say.. The orchard is doing amazing! Fruits are really starting to be recognizable and are growing like crazy : ) We’re in a bit of a race with the birds who gets most cherries, and so far they seem to be winning. But we have a lot of other berries, like strawberries and redcurrant : )
The walnuts are growing steadily, and becoming bigger by the day… I’m glad they survived the frost, a neighbor wasn’t so lucky.
The pears are getting pear-shaped!
The apples are getting bigger, and are also getting more color! There’s quite some size difference in some of them.